Ubisoft Singapore - A detailed research/ My thoughts on Video Games

You know what? I spent the last 4 hours researching about Ubisoft Singapore from all sorts of sources, primarily their Facebook page.

(http://www.facebook.com/notes/ubisoft-singapore/intern-blog-arvind/117675971696#!/ubisoftsingapore.)

Not once within this 4 hours did I even touch my homework and I don't fricking regret any second of it.

Ubisoft Singapore and Ubisoft-Digipen Campus

I've read blogs about the interns working there. I've read about the game creation process. Even that article on Digital Life regarding Ubisoft Singapore's role in the production of the recent games Assassin's Creed 2 and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Did you know that our studio here in Singapore developed more than one-third of the Prince of Persia game?

I've also read a comprehensive definition and description of what it means to be game designer. The different disciplines in the video game industry can be broadly classified into programming, design, art, and the miscellaneous sectors like Human Resources and Finance.

You see, in the video game industry, design and art are relatively dissimilar. Game designers, under the guidance of the Creative Director or Lead Designer, will develop aspects of gameplay such as problem-solving, the thought process that goes into playing video games, the general user interface as well as the controls that the player will use. Artists, on the other hand, as more related to the visual aspect of the game, the general art direction and how visually-relevant the characters and the background are to the setting of the game.

After assessing my interests and skills, I thought that I'd be better suited in the position of the Game Designer, a position that requires a broader but less specific set of skills. Variations of creative designers include level designers, game designers as well as sound designers. The graphic designers include 2D artists, 3D artists and Environment artists, something I thought Shao Xuan could consider.

As much as the Economic Development Board would like Singaporeans to venture into the Interactive Media industry, scoring a job with Ubisoft Singapore isn't merely a walk in the park. From my readings, I believe that the company does possess and strict requirement criteria. However, upon landing a position within the company, it becomes evident that the company will go the extra mile to develop it's junior members into strong, creative individuals. This involves an all-inclusive program which involves sculpting classes (something very relevant to my love of toys and figurines), life drawing classes, lessons with senior members of the company and further programs to their main studios in North America and Europe to further hone your skills!

The locally-based studio holds meetings to discuss their development on video games, a platform for discussion as well as fun, for there is always a time for relaxation after the meetings held fortnightly. From this, I infer that the team of people are homely and warm and working there could be a pleasant experience. In fact, I really do believe that I could be genuinely happy working in such a place.

As a matter of fact, the studio hosts annuals events such as Halloween (a.k.a a chance to dress as Vader on a yearly basis) and frequent barbeque events.

The other impressive thing about Ubisoft is that it has intelligently collaborated with Digipen, a world-renowned institute for the development of game-oriented individuals. Though it is headquartered in America, the local government has fortunately convinced the institute to set up a campus here in Singapore. The Digipen-Ubisoft campus, though relatively new (its pioneer batch was in October 2009), offers courses on 3D animation, Game Programming and Game Design etc. We can see that the institute will indeed offer us the necessary and relevant skills to successfully break into the budding video game industry whether in America, Japan or right here in Singapore.

My experience with video games

In 2007, my parents purchased an Xbox 360 for my birthday. However, like many other Xbox 360-owners I know, I left it alone for the majority of the following year. Until one day, on the eve of June 2008, I made a quirky decision to buy a European gaming magazine. From the continued purchase of these magazines, my fascination with the entertainment medium grew exponentially. With a rapidly expanding fascination with games, the time and love I had for video games grew as well. And from this uncanny concoction, something beautiful blossomed: Passion.

I developed a passion for games because in them I saw many aspects of life that I really enjoyed. They possessed the heart and depth of a superb piece of literature and infused that with the all-encompassing sense of entertainment derived from watching television. The sense of control over an avatar in a world never seen before was enthralling and palatable. In the crossroads between technology and art, lied an amazing platform called video games. In it, I saw potential. And from it, I derived passion for something not mainstream yet entirely powerful and beautiful. At that precise moment in time, I knew, from the bottom of my heart, that I wanted to be in the video game industry.

Firstly, I strongly believe that when it comes to career choices, Passion > Economic Prospect. Perhaps it has to do with my upbringing or the fact that I never had to worry about whether I'm going to have a roof over my head or when am I going to have my next meal.

Secondly, I understand that the climate of the video game industry is just highly casual. Guys (or more rarely, girls) , in "Come to the dark side, We have cookies" or "I Heart Padme Amidala" T-Shirts. Everyday, as you enter the workplace, a giant statue of Master Yoda or Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed II will welcome you into your one true haven. Instead of stocks, you'll be discussing the easter eggs from the latest role-playing game from Bioware.

Thirdly, and most importantly, it's just really the passion. I quote the Code of The Sith.

Peace is a lie; there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

In essence, we are all beings of passions. Passion is what keeps us alive. To think us beyond the need of simple passions is delusional. Think about it. If we didn't have the passion to score well in the 'O' Levels, would we be doing our homework at all? If we didn't have the passion for a certain television show, would we even mention it in our blogs? If we didn't give a damn about our lives, would we do what we do to stay alive? Passion can lead to wealth. But wealth can never lead to passion.

I thoroughly understand that video games aren't something fashionable or the least bit popular with the general public. I know that video games have been commonly associated with obese, bespectacled middle-aged men living with their mothers. They have been thrashed by the media over games like Grand Theft Auto, which advocates crime and meaningless violence. It isn't something that is glorious to be associated with. To many of the people who aren't entirely familiar with the medium, video games are equivalent to the pastimes of adolescent boys. But I just want to say that they've evolved. Video games have matured - metamorphosed - from ugly little caterpillars to stunning, gracious butterflies.

When my parents realised that I wanted to make games in the future, they were entirely supportive because they are great parents. Yet, whenever we discuss about my future at our weekly dinners, I can look into their eyes and realise that they still hope that, one day, I'll become something glorified like a lawyer or a doctor. So they'll ask me, "What do you intend to do after NS?", and as much as I'd like to say Digipen, I would eventually blurt out something like, "Study computer science". Even my sister thinks I should join the SAF as an officer. And it's hurtful, it really is, to know that my dreams differ so far away from all of theirs.

Well, to end off today's post, I'd thought that I would post about a career plan, that I drew up upon finishing research about Ubisoft Singapore. I think that it's nice to have a goal and I refer to Tan Kuan Ting's latest post about "dreams" and despite being a grammatical failure and having some slips here and there, it is truly relevant to all our aspirations.

My Career Plan - Nicholas

Begin by scoring a perfect 6 points for my 'O' Levels
Get into a renowned Junior College - Preferably National Junior College
Score stellar results in the 2012 'A' Levels
Complete my National Service
Enter the University of Design and Technology - Computer Science
Undertake the 10-month PCP course on Game Design at Digipen-Ubisoft Campus
Based on my history with the campus and my passion for video games, send in an application to Ubisoft Singapore for the position of Junior Game Designer
From there onwards, the road should be clear.

:)

I don't rightly know exactly how relevant this blogpost is to you, but I guess it tells us about how impactful our central passions are to our lives, regardless of who you are. In reference to my earlier post on Fangirls, I think that we all should find out what we all love and really, really embrace it tightly. If you're looking for something to do in the future, I strongly suggest that it be related to something that you're real passionate about. Because this passion will only serve to drive you forward and inadvertently bring about success.

What do you guys think?

0 comments: