Please avoid this post if you have not seen this movie

Hi. I just returned from AMK hub and a thrilling 2-hour session of fanboy-eyecandy a.k.a Iron Man 2, and I am just eager to share my thoughts about the "Marvel"-ous movie.

(Geddit? "Marvel"?, " Marvel"-lous ?! )
As much as I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, I did feel that there were certain aspects that could have been radically improved. First of all, towards the end of the movie, I kinda got bored by Tony Stark's incessantly sarcastic behaviour (which is starting to become characteristic of all of Robert Downey Jr.'s performances. Remember Sherlock Holmes? ) . I mean, yes Tony's a flamboyant, bombastic billionare with the most powerful weapon in the world, but sometimes, referring to the appearance of Whiplash, its good to be more serious. I certainly do enjoy Anthony's casual, slick tone but I would also like to see a more serious side to Iron Man. Make him angry. Like really really angry. Kinda like Batman. or Black Spiderman. It would probably lead to more interesting storylines and drama. And it would certainly make Iron Man a more emotionally developed character, who is deserving of the Iron suit.





Also, more powerful villains please. Whiplash didn't really fit the bill. Sure, he was a mechanical genius. A guy with a serious vengeance but in the end he was still sucker-punched by the combined force of Iron Man and War Machine. We need someone who really makes Tony Stark pee in his pants. (Although, as Tony humorously pointed out in the birthday scene, it would be filtrated as clean water). We need someone as intelligent as Tony, someone who knows how to exploit him and hit him where it hurts, inherently evil ( as in the person who created the Twilight series EVIL ), with the physical capabilities to match the Iron Man suit. Could this be an opportunity for Justin Hammer perhaps?


That said, I do have to reinforce that I really enjoyed the movie, particularly due to all the references. I was "this" close to orgasm when I saw Thor's Hammer. Micky Rourke was also really good as Whiplash, and I really hated to see him die at the hands of the iron-clad heroes. I couldn't have enjoyed the Avengers references more. Any other deserving fanboy would have noticed Captain America's shield ( albeit half-completed, or was it reverse-engineered? hmmm ) laying about Tony Stark's loft. I mean how did it get there?! HOW ?!




Also, I thought that Mace Windu, Samuel .L. Jackson was exceptionally outstanding as Nick Fury. The Iron Man-Fury banter was absolutely hilarious!


Tony: "I have no wish to join your super secret boyband."


LOL. MORE AVENGERS STUFF PLEASE!!!


Cinematic Effects was just brilliant. Eye-candy from start to finish. And EXTREME firepower. I mean like rocket launchers, repulsor arrays, machine guns and more rocket launchers. By eye-candy, I also mean the beautiful Gwyneth Paltrow, ( still in love with her from Iron Man 1 ) and the ever-voluptuous Scarlet Johansson! Whew, I don't think I can ever be tired of seeing her kick some major ass as Black Widow.



I give the movie a 4/5, officially violating Code 256 of the Fanboy's Bible: " Always give Marvel movies full marks on your blog". Yes, it was a brilliant and outstanding movie but there are certainly areas to improve on. Personally, its selfish because inside I'm still craving more and more Avengers references. But really, its a great movie, even for non-comic fans, and I certainly encourage you to watch it. Ciao. :)

0 comments: